Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 15, 2009

Psalm 23, I shall not want, Part 2

"I shall not want" With an endless barrage of commercials, newspaper ads, and mailouts telling me what I need to purchase to make me happy and content, it's hard not to want. I will not want because I do not lack. I have everything I need to be content because my contentment and sustainment comes from my Shepherd, Jesus Christ. My Shepherd compared contentment to the flowers of the earth, noting that they lacked nothing and that their Shepherd cared and supplied for their life's necessities. And that if God cared enough to take care of the birds, He will abundantly care for and take care of me! Matthew 6:28 - 31, "And why worry about your clothes? Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you? You have so little faith! So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing."

Questions:
  • What was God's role in your last major purchase? What would you have done differently?
  • Make a mental list of how God has provided for you and begin to thank him throughout your week.
  • Do I need to increase my tithes and offerings?
  • Pray and ask the Shepherd what he wants you to do with your next offering. An offering is an amount above and beyond your normal tithe. Perhaps this could be decided as a family project.
  • Go through your closets and donate at least one bag of items to your local Goodwill.

Meditation:
My Shepherd abundantly cares for all of my life's necessities. Dear Shepherd, thank you that you have provided for all of life's necessities. I do not want because I do not lack. You are my provider and sustainer of my life. My life is in your hands and you will provide what I need. Teach me to come to you when I am in need and to hear and obey your voice when it comes to making purchases. I tithe and I have an abundance of blessings from the throne room of grace.

No comments: